Most Americans look forward to celebrating Labor Day weekend each year. For many of us, Labor Day is an extra day to travel, spend time with family or get some extra sleep after a busy summer. Labor Day usually symbolizes a time of rest, relaxation and fun.
How much do you know about the true history and purpose of Labor Day?
The historical significance of Labor Day is often overlooked. As trade union and labor movements grew in the United States, Labor Day was first proposed as a September holiday in the early 1880s. In 1887, Oregon became the first state to make Labor Day an official public holiday. By the time it became an official federal holiday in 1894, thirty U.S. states officially celebrated Labor Day.
Today, Labor Day is a federal holiday celebrated nationwide and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. On this annual holiday, we celebrate our workforce and their contributions to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of the United States.
How do you celebrate Labor Day?
Agility by Therapedic is celebrating Labor Day with a sale on our American-made mattress. The latex, microcoils, memory foam, base foam and mattress cover are all made in the USA. Since the mattress is made and assembled in America, with headquarters in Princeton, New Jersey, your purchase supports the U.S. economy.
If your plans to celebrate Labor Day include travel, remember that restful sleep on a quality mattress is the best way to recover from a busy holiday weekend. Here are a few additional tips to help you unwind before the work week begins.
- On the last day of the holiday weekend, watch your caffeine intake. If you’re careful not to overdo it, you’ll have an easier time falling asleep and waking up for work the next day.
- Eat a complete breakfast on your last day of vacation. This will help fuel you for a day of completing tasks, traveling and preparing for the following day at work.
- Take a warm shower or bath at bedtime to help you relax and prepare for a restful night of sleep.
- Consider hitting the gym or going for a nice walk. This will ensure you are more tired when bedtime rolls around.
- Turn off your cell phone. Enjoy your last day of vacation without checking your email repeatedly. Be sure to put your phone away early in the evening, so your brain can prepare for bedtime without the light from electronics.
Since Labor Day symbolizes the end of summer and beginning of fall, it’s a good time to think about healthy changes and goals for the new season. One way to maximize productivity is to ensure you’re getting a good night’s rest with a comfortable, quality mattress. The Agility by Therapedic mattress is on sale for the Labor Day holiday, can be purchased online and shipped directly to your home.
During Agility’s Labor Day mattress sale, you can save on a hybrid mattress in any size. Unlike most bed-in-a-box mattresses made entirely of foam, the Agility mattress is made from a special blend of elements designed to give you the best night of sleep. Our five-zoned latex foam is breathable and provides immediate response to your body movements for the perfect surface feel. Nearly 1,000 mini micro-coils respond quickly to movement in any direction and provide support and durability – more about these magical coils below. The Agility mattress has bio-based gel memory foam to help with energy absorption, providing pressure relief and a transitional layer in your mattress. Finally, the base foam layer gives your mattress added support and durability.